Can I File an Injury Lawsuit as an Undocumented Worker in New York?

On Behalf of | Nov 21, 2022 | Personal Injury

Your Rights If You Are an Undocumented Worker Injured in an Accident

Hundreds of thousands of people living and working in New York City are undocumented, meaning they are illegally in our country. Your immigration status, however, should not have any impact on whether you are able to file an injury lawsuit. If you are injured by another person’s wrongdoing, you deserve compensation regardless of your immigration status.  Do NOT be afraid.

At Siegel & Coonerty LLP, our attorneys proudly represent Spanish-speaking communities and undocumented workers. We believe that all people deserve quality legal representation. Our legal team serves injured parties in NYC and statewide. If you were injured in an accident, contact our office at 646-960-8195 for a free consultation.

Your Rights as an Undocumented Worker in NYC

An annual report filed by the Mayor’s Office of Immigrant Affairs found that there are an estimated 560,000 undocumented people living throughout the city. Approximately 6.3% of the city’s population are here illegally, yet they work hard and support our entire economy. Furthermore, it is believed that around one million New Yorkers live in “mixed-status households” where at least one person is undocumented.

Undocumented workers make up a considerable part of the city, yet many feel that they do not have the same rights as other people. It is important to know that your immigration status does not impact your right to file an injury lawsuit. If you are injured in an accident, you have the right to pursue legal action and you need to consider hiring an attorney.

Types of Injury Lawsuits Commonly Filed by Undocumented Workers

Many undocumented workers injured in accidents are afraid to come forward for fear that it will expose their residency status and have immigration implications. However, as an undocumented worker, you should not be fearful. Filing an injury lawsuit should not affect your residency or immigration.

Cases commonly filed by undocumented workers:

  • Construction and workplace accidents
  • Car accidents
  • Slip/trip and fall accidents, as well as other premises liability
  • Pedestrian accidents
  • Bicycle accidents
  • Medical malpractice

If you are injured in an accident, you might be entitled to compensation for your pain and suffering, medical bills, lost wages, loss of future earning capacity, and more. You have the right to file a claim and should not feel threatened by the party that caused you harm.

Obtaining Legal Representation as an Undocumented Worker

If you are an undocumented worker in New York City, you need to consult with an attorney as soon as possible. A lawyer can help you understand your rights and ensure that you receive the compensation you deserve after an accident.

You should not feel pressured by your employer, or into agreeing to a low settlement offer because of your residency status. It is wrong for a liable party to force you into an agreement because you are not documented. An attorney can help ensure that your rights are protected.

Get a Free, No-Obligation Consultation

Are you an undocumented worker who has been injured in New York City? You might be entitled to compensation through an injury lawsuit, but you need to act fast. Contact our office at 646-960-8195 to discuss your case with an experienced attorney. Do not let your immigration status prevent you from getting the money you deserve. Call now to get started.