What to Do When a Doctor’s Failure to Diagnose Causes Harm
One of the most common forms of medical malpractice is failure to diagnose. When a doctor fails to provide a patient with a reasonable standard of care that results in them giving the wrong diagnosis (misdiagnosis) or missing a diagnosis completely (missed diagnosis), they may be held liable for injuries. It is important to consult with an attorney as quickly as possible to determine your legal options.
At Siegel & Coonerty LLP, we are dedicated advocates for individuals who have suffered harm due to a doctor’s failure to diagnose. Left untreated, many conditions can become life-threatening or may prove fatal. If a health care provider’s negligence caused you injury, you might be entitled to compensation. Contact our office at 646-960-8195 for a free consultation.
What Is Failure to Diagnose?
Diagnostic errors are widespread in the medical industry. Millions of people receive the wrong diagnosis or have serious health conditions that go untreated because of a doctor’s negligence. A failure to diagnose a disease, infection or other illness can result in severe harm to a patient. When that failure to diagnose is preventable, there may be liability.
Three types of failure to diagnose include:
- Misdiagnosis – Misdiagnosis occurs when a doctor diagnoses a patient with the wrong condition. It is estimated that 40,000 to 80,000 people die each year from problems related to misdiagnoses.
- Missed diagnosis – A missed diagnosis happens when a doctor or other health care provider fails to diagnose a medical condition.
- Delayed diagnosis – A delayed diagnosis occurs when a doctor fails to recognize a medical condition in a timely manner.
Whether your harm was the result of a misdiagnosis, missed diagnosis, or delayed diagnosis, you might be entitled to a financial recovery. Contact our office to discuss whether you have a valid medical malpractice claim against a negligent provider.
Our Case Results
At Siegel & Coonerty LLP, we have extensive experience obtaining compensation for people hurt due to diagnostic errors. We are unafraid to take cases to trial, often obtaining millions on behalf of our clients when the initial insurance settlement offer was nothing.
We recently secured the following results for our clients:
- $43 million jury verdict for a client who suffered an aneurysmal rupture after a failure to diagnose. (Park v. Rizzuti)
- $2 million jury verdict on behalf of a woman whose doctor failed to diagnose a bladder laceration during her hysterectomy resulting in permanent urinary dysfunction. (Weiss v. Fields)
- $1.5 million jury verdict for a medical malpractice survivor whose doctor failed to timely diagnose Cauda Equina syndrome resulting in permanent global saddle area dysfunction. (Sutherland v. Mauri)
- $890,000 jury verdict for the misdiagnosis of a benign tumor as cancer resulting in multiple unnecessary surgeries and shoulder dysfunction. (Caifa v. Winthrop)
If you were the survivor of a diagnostic error, we will fight for you. Do not delay. Call now to speak directly with an attorney.